175g frozen broad beans
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot , finely chopped
1 garlic clove , sliced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary , leaves removed and roughly chopped
8 small cooked beetroot , quartered
140g bag mixed salad leaves
4 Tbsp raspberry or red wine vinegar
Vegan Cream Cheese or Vegan Parmesan Cheese or any vegan cheese
- Cook the broad beans according to packet instructions, then drain and refresh them in cold water. Preferably, peel the skins off the beans. This is a fiddly job, but it's worth the effort because the skins can be quite tough.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped shallot and sliced garlic and fry for a minute or two over a medium heat until pale golden. Stir in the chopped rosemary, then tip in the beetroot quarters and stir gently for 3-4 minutes, so that the flavours amalgamate. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Lift out the beetroot quarters and put them into a bowl together with the salad leaves. Stir the vinegar and the remaining olive oil into the pan juices and pour over the beetroot and salad leaves. Toss gently to mix through.
- Finally, just before serving, toss in the broad beans and vegan cheese or feta cheese and taste for seasoning.
- This winter salad is as good as it looks, full of seasonal colours and a fabulous combination of textures