Now that I am on a nearly raw diet, I started browsing for a substitute for mashed potatoes. I found a number of recipes with cauliflower and all of them looked good. I ventured on making my own today and lo and behold, I am in awe of this new taste that I have found in cauliflower.
Coconut Milk or Almond Milk - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 1 clove or more if you like
Nutmeg - a pinch
Fresh Basil or Mint - a few leaves
Salt to taste
Onion Powder - (optional)
- Clean and separate the cauliflower florets.
- Blend all the ingredients until you get the desired consistency.
- Finally, garnish with fresh basil or mint.
- This has a nice blend of rich flavors.
- You could either use a food processor or Vitamix. I used vitamix and just blended at medium speed. Do not blend at high speed unless you are planning to make a sauce or dipping. This way you will retain the needed texture to the mashed "potatoes".
- Add a little bit more coconut or almond milk and make a sauce for your salads.
- Add tiny bits of spinach to make a spinach dip to go with your raw chips or crudites or crackers.