No Guilt Mashed "Potatoes"

By: Esther Vasa
Now that I am on a nearly raw diet, I started browsing for a substitute for mashed potatoes. I found a number of recipes with cauliflower and all of them looked good. I ventured on making my own today and lo and behold, I am in awe of this new taste that I have found in cauliflower.

Ingredients:
Cauliflower - 1 whole
Coconut Milk or Almond Milk - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 1 clove or more if you like
Nutmeg - a pinch
Fresh Basil or Mint - a few leaves
Salt to taste
Onion Powder - (optional)

Procedure:

  • Clean and separate the cauliflower florets.
  • Blend all the ingredients until you get the desired consistency.
  • Finally, garnish with fresh basil or mint.
  • This has a nice blend of rich flavors.
  • You could either use a food processor or Vitamix. I used vitamix and just blended at medium speed. Do not blend at high speed unless you are planning to make a sauce or dipping. This way you will retain the needed texture to the mashed "potatoes".

Variations:

  • Add a little bit more coconut or almond milk and make a sauce for your salads. 
  • Add tiny bits of spinach to make a spinach dip to go with your raw chips or crudites or crackers.