Nutritional Yeast is a powerhouse of essential nutrients especially the B vitamins. Look at the color - Yellow. That says it all about the B-range of vitamins embedded in this product. It is not the typical yeast and does not have any strain of Candida Albicans. It is embraced well by the raw foodists, vegans and vegetarians. One tablespoon of nutritional yeast provides the required B12 for a single day. You can get it in the bulk section of Whole Foods or order online.
Turmeric is a spice derived from the root of curcuma longa plant. Being an Indian, I have been using this spice since childhood and can vouch for its health benefits. It is one of the safest anti-inflammatory products and can heal cough, toothache, bruises and many more health problems. I also use it when I have acne issues.
Shredded Spinach - 1 cup
Nutritional Yeast - 2 tbsp
Turmeric - 1/4th tsp
Juice of one lime
Pumpkin seeds - 1 tbsp
Onion powder - to sprinkle (optional)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- In a food processor, shred cabbage until it is of the size of cooked rice. Put in a salad bowl.
- Shred spinach. Mix in with cabbage.
- In a separate bowl, put nutritional yeast, turmeric, oil and lime juice and whisk well. This is your dressing.
- Pour the dressing over cabbage and spinach. Mix well.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and onion powder.
- This has the look and feel of "rice" and hence I called it "Raw Cabbage Rice". Enjoy!