Urad/Mung Bean Laddoo

By: Selina Vasa
My sister, Selina Vasa shared this recipe with me this morning. This laddoo was something I enjoyed back in India for any special occasion and especially around Christmas. My sister mentioned that the same could be made with mung bean. You may want to try it before I do.

Ingredients:
Urad Bean or Mung Bean - 1.5 cups (whole or split -- preferably whole)
Powdered Jaggery - 1 cup or if you have sweet tooth make it 1.5 cups
Whole Cardamom - 2 pieces
Olive oil - 1/4th to 1/2 cup

Procedure:

  • Dry roast urad bean until it is crispy to bite; in the last minute add cardamom to roast as well.
  • In your Vitamix or any power blender's dry container, blend urad bean and cardamom until you get a smooth powder.
  • Transfer the dry powder into the wet container and add all other ingredients and blend with tamper in place.
  • Transfer to a wide plate and using your hands shape into balls (also known as laddoos). Enjoy!

Makes: About 12 2-inch laddoos