Whole chicken with giblets removed. Try and get a fresh, large chicken that weighs minimum of four pounds. Separately roast the giblets and use to make broth.
For Chicken Rub
Crushed Ginger and Garlic - 1 tbsp
Dried Thyme - 1 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Greek Yogurt - 1 tbsp
Himalayan Salt and Black Pepper
For layering the baking tray and stuffing
Onions - 3
Carrots - 3
Celery Sticks - 3
Parsley - a generous handful with stems as well.
Sage - 10 leaves
Salt and Pepper
For Roasting Giblets
Avocado Oil - 1 tsp
Salt and Pepper to taste
For Chicken Broth
Onion - 1 (roughly chopped)
Carrots - 2 (chopped roughly)
Celery - 2 sticks (chopped roughly)
Garlic Cloves - 6
Whole Cinnamon Stick - 1
Whole Cloves - 4
Whole Cardamom - 2
Pepper Corns - 8
Bay Leaves - 2
A couple big pinches of salt
Any herbs you like or have
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Mix all the ingredients listed in "For Chicken Rub".
- Pat chicken dry.
- Apply the prepared mix from step 2 all over chicken and even inside.
- On a baking tray layer chopped onions (use two for layering), carrots, celery sticks and sprinkle some avocado oil and salt and pepper. Mix and spread evenly on the surface.
- Stuff herbs and the remaining onion (halve it) into the chicken.
- Roast for an hour to hour and a half. Depending on the size of your chicken and the oven temperature you may have to decrease or increase the roast time.
- When you think it is done, insert a thermometer in the fleshy portion of the thigh and check the temperature. If it is 170F, it is ready.
- Let it sit for about 15 minutes, scoop out the stuffing and then carve.
- Try and scrape meat off the bones and use the scraped meat for soup.
Roasted GibletsIn a saucepan, add avocado oil and warm it and then add the giblets and roast for 10 minutes.
- Using the carcass, make chicken broth.
- Add the carcass, roasted giblets and all the ingredients listed under "For Chicken Broth" in a crockpot.
- Add water till all the ingredients are fully submerged in water.
- Turn the crockpot on high for an hour and then turn it to low and let the broth go on for 16-20 hours.
- Strain, cool and save it in fridge and use it wherever the recipe calls for broth. You can also drink it. It is not only tasty but is also healing.