By: Esther Vasa
Black Eyed Peas are low in fat and high in quality protein. The soluble fiber in these peas helps reduce LDL cholesterol without compromising on HDL. The insoluble fiber helps in combating constipation, colon cancer, and other digestive tract related problems. The phytochemicals, lignans, flavonoids and phytosterols present in these beans may help in prevention of osteoporosis and reduce the risk of heart disease. Being a vegetarian, I find this as one great food source to get a rich supply of nutrients.
|Chunky Black Eyed Peas Soup|
Dried Black Eyed Peas - 1 cup
Onion - 1
Tomatoes - 2
Carrot - 1
Celery - 2 stalks
Zucchini - 1
Collard Greens - 4 large leaves
Turmeric - 1/4th tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/4th tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/4th tsp
Cayenne Pepper - a pinch or two (optional - I don't use it)
Himalayan Salt to taste
Water or Unsalted Vegetable Broth - 6 cups
- Soak up black-eyed peas for at least four hours in sufficient water. Drain the soaked water and put in the crock-pot.
- Dice onion and tomato and add to the crock-pot.
- Add the water or broth, spices (turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper) and salt to the crock-pot.
- Set the crock-pot on high and let this cook for 2-3 hours or until the peas are soft to touch.
- Roughly chop all the remaining vegetables.
- Then add them to the crock-pot and let cook for another 2-3 hours or until carrots are soft to touch.
- Your cooking time might vary depending on the size of your crock-pot, the size of the chopped vegetables etc.,
- Alternately, you can make this soup in a nice, heavy-bottomed stockpot.
- I made mine today in pressure cooker as it is much faster. I actually soaked beans for eight hours in refrigerator. What I did was, I followed till step 4 and cooked the beans in the pressure cooker until I heard four pressure releases from the vent. I waited till the pressure cooker's lid was ready to be opened. Then, I added the remaining vegetables and cooked until I heard one pressure release from the vent. Switch off and wait till the pressure cooker's lid is ready to be opened.
- Transfer into soup bowls and enjoy!