By: Elna Botes van Schalkwyk
|Chicken and Leek Quiche|
1 and ½ cups gluten free flour
110g nut butter or raw, organic salt-free butter
⅛ cup iced water
- Process flour and butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. (if you don’ t have a food processor, use the rub in method).
- Add iced water and blend until it comes together (you may need a little more water but the pastry should be quite stiff not soft.)
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry to about 3mm thick, place in greased quiche tin, prick bottom with fork and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Blind Bake (glad bake and rice over pastry) at 180ºC/350ºF for 20 minutes.
- Remove paper and rice and cook further 10 minutes and then set a side to cool.
400g of chicken breasts, preferably organic and pastured chicken (poache the chicken and then keep the stock for later)
1 small onion
1 tab extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
⅓ cup reserved stock
1 cup almond milk
1 cup of fake feta or goat’s feta
1 tab parsley
2 tab sage
4 eggs or 4 tsp egg substitute
- Poach the chicken, cool and cut into pieces. Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat and add leeks, onion and garlic and a little Himalayan salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until soft & starting to caramelize.
- Add stock and chicken and simmer for 5 minutes. Then cool slightly.
- Place in pie shell then sprinkle with tasty “cheese”.
- Whisk together eggs, almond milk, cayenne pepper and a little Himalayan salt. Pour over chicken then sprinkle with feta or fake feta.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes.