By: Esther Vasa
|Jackfruit cut up with edible bulbs in place|
- Jackfruit contains Vitamins A, C, thiamin, riboflavin, calcium, potassium, iron, sodium, zinc and niacin among many other nutrients.
- It is a low calorie fruit with about 90 calories per 100 grams.
- It is a rich source of potassium and hence helps in lowering blood pressure.
- Vitamin C found in the fruit is an antioxidant that protects the body against free radicals, strengthens our immune system and keeps our gums healthy and happy.
- It contains phytonutrients: lignans, isoflavones and saponins known for their anti-cancer, anti-hypertensive, anti-ulcer and anti-aging properties.
|On the right are the whole jackfruit bulbs,|
jackfruit seeds in the middle and
to the left are the bulbs with seeds removed
Jackfruit Seeds are very rich in protein and nutritious. I have extracted all the seeds and will be currying some, roast some for snack and will be boiling some like Boiled Peanuts in the South. Their taste and texture is similar to chestnuts. Some use dried jackfruit seeds to prepare flour. That flour is by default, gluten-free and is paleo.