By: Elna Botes van Schalkwyk
It’s official: Ginger Bear is better than Ginger Beer!
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Cures motion sickness
- Get relief from heartburn
- Use it for cold and flu prevention and treatment
- Get migraine relief (due to its ability to stop prostaglandins from causing pain and inflammation in blood vessels).
- It is an aphrodisiac
- And, especially for the ladies, ginger is just as effective as vitamin B6 in the treatment of morning sickness and is also used in the treatment of menstrual cramps.
Ways to consume ginger:
- "Pickled" ginger: Peel the ginger to remove the brown covering. Slice as thin as possible with a mandolin, vegetable peeler or very sharp knife. Bring ½ cup of apple cider vinegar, stevia or dates to taste and ¼ tbsp. of Himalayan salt to a boil. Immediately add the ginger and bring to a boil again for one minute. Pack the ginger and pickling brine into glasses and sterilize. (It's also great for an upset stomach!)
- Steamed Chicken: You can mix the pickled ginger with steamed chicken and lots of almonds and serve it on a bed of fresh, crisp lettuce.
- Juice: While you juice your greens, vegetables and fruits, juice ginger as well.
- Ginger Tea: Boil crushed ginger and water for 5-10 minutes and cool it off. Strain and mix 1/2 tsp of honey and a few drops of lime juice and enjoy your tea!