By: Esther Vasa
Did you know that mushrooms fall under foods that help with remyelination? For thousands of years mushrooms are used for their medicinal properties. Mushrooms are mostly filled with water and so are low in calories. They have very little sodium and fat. I dehydrate mushrooms; their dry weight is low and it is mostly fiber. It is an ideal food for people trying to control their weight or folks with hypertension. They are an excellent source of potassium and and especially good when we are on steroids. They have copper, a mineral that has cardioprotective properties. They are a rich source of riboflavin, niacin, and selenium. Selenium is an antioxidant that works with vitamin E to protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. Mushrooms possess substances that inhibit the activity of aromatase (an enzyme involved in estrogen production), and 5-alpha-reductase (an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT). The latest findings show that white button mushrooms can reduce the risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer. Shiitake mushrooms have been used for centuries by the Chinese and Japanese to treat colds and flu. Lentinan, a beta-glucan isolated from the fruiting body of shiitake mushrooms, appears to stimulate the immune system, help fight infection, and demonstrates anti-tumor activity.
|Cream of Mushroom Soup|
Sliced Mushrooms - 6 cups (I used a combo of portabella and porcini)
Diced Onion - 1/2 cup
Crushed Garlic - 1 tsp or 2 cloves
Unsalted Vegetable Stock - 1 cup or more depending on the desired consistency
Coconut Milk - 10 oz and Almond Milk - 10 oz
Himalayan salt to taste
Nutmeg - a big pinch
Pepper to taste
Avocado oil or any oil with higher smoke point - 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a thick and heavy bottomed steel soup pot.
- Add diced onions and crushed garlic. Let it sweat for a minute and mix in some salt.
- Then, add mushrooms and keep stirring for about 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are nice and tender.
- Add nutmeg and pepper.
- Add the stock and cook for a minute or two.
- Next, add the coconut milk and almond milk. Stir well and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Adjust salt and spices. Mix well.
- Transfer soup into soup bowls. Garnish with any herbs you like.
- This is a great comfort food!