By: Esther Vasa
Saffron, one of the most expensive spices, is supposed to have numerous health benefits. Some of the benefits that livestrong website speaks of are that it helps fight depression, has cancer fighting properties, improves memory and eyesight. As for me, I love the flavor and aroma. Just a pinch can add nice color to your foods and enhance the flavor of soups especially.
|Cauliflower-Parmesan with Saffron Soup|
Cashew nuts - 1/2 cup
Nutritional Yeast - 1/2 cup
Cauliflower - 1/2 head
Onion - 1
Garlic Cloves - 2 (minced)
Cashew nuts - 1/4th cup (soaked for two hours at least)
Vegetable Broth - 4 cups
Saffron - a pinch
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Soak 1/4th cup cashew nuts.
- Soak a pinch of saffron in a tablespoon of water.
- Blend the ingredients listed for "parmesan" and store in a sealed mason jar. You can use this as a substitute for parmesan.
- In a stockpot, warm up olive oil. Saute onions and garlic for three minutes on medium heat.
- Add cauliflower, salt and pepper and keep stirring for five more minutes.
- Add broth and cook on high until the soup comes to a boil.
- Then, add soaked saffron and let the whole thing simmer for twenty minutes.
- Blend the soup in batches along with soaked cashew nuts. You can adjust salt and pepper at this time.
- Transfer into serving bowls and sprinkle "parmesan". Enjoy this warm and creamy soup!