By: Elna Botes van Schalkwyk
|Special Beet Salad|
8 small beets
7 ml organic extra virgin olive oil
10 ml raw, organic honey
1,25 ml Himalayan Salt
75 ml shelled walnuts
75 ml black olives
6 oz baby spinach leaves
Mock mayo or mock cream cheese (optional)
Peeled baby tomatoes (optional)
45 ml nut oil
30 ml grapeseed oil
20 ml organic lemon juice
Cumin seeds (optional)
- Cut stem off about ½ inch from the top of the beet and wash well, but leave skin on to lock in flavour.
- Coat beets in a small amount of olive oil and honey and place in a shallow baking pan. Put into the oven at 350ºF/ 180ºC. Every 15 minutes give them a stir to coat while roasting for 45 minutes.
- To check if they are done, insert the tip of a sharp knife into the beet. Remove while still a little crisp in the center. Peel off the skin or if they were organically grown, leave the skin on for maximum nutrition. Quarter each beet and set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the oils until well blended. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice, add a pinch of Himalayan salt and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
- Divide the baby spinach between 2 or three salad plates. Mound a serving of beets in the center of each plate and scatter the olives and walnuts on top. You can also add a splash of mock mayo or mock cream cheese if you want to. Whisk the dressing a final time and drizzle about 2 tablespoons over each salad. Top with cumin seeds.