Homemade Righteously Raw Chocolate

By: Esther Vasa

I have recently come to love my "Righteously Raw 90% Cacao Bar" treats every now and then. After realizing how pricey it was and is, I resolved to make this at home. It is so much cheaper when you make it at home and you are very sure of what goes into each bar. It is a brainy food that is homemade, purely organic, righteously raw and simply delicious. 

My first try

The first time I made it, I just put all the ingredients in a food processor and the chocolate bar had a lot of texture to it. The picture on the side shows how my first bars looked like. The second time, I made it slightly differently and the recipe below shows the steps I took for my second try. If you want to take the easy route, simply put all the ingredients in a food processor or Vitamix or any other power blender and allow the bars to set in the refrigerator and cut them however you like. You may have some bits of cacao nibs and cacao butter and/or berries here and there but that may be just how you like your chocolate. Experiment and see how you like it better.

Ingredients:
Dried Goji Berries - 1/2 cup
Dried Bilberries - 1/2 cup
Raw Cacao Nibs - 1 cup
Raw Cacao Butter - 1 cup (Grated)
Pink Himalayan Salt - a big pinch
Dates - 6
Lime/Lemon/Orange Zest - 1 tsp (optional)

Homemade Righteously Raw Chocolate
Ready to sit and set in refrigerator
Preparation:
  • Using a dry mixer (I used Vitamix 32oz dry container), blend goji berries and bilberries together and set aside.
  • Then, in the same dry blender, blend cacao nibs with salt and zest and set aside.
  • Grate a cup of raw cacao butter in a box grater and set aside.
  • In a Vitamix wet container or a food processor, blend or process the powdered berries, cacao nibs and grated cacao butter until smooth. In a vitamix, you can blend for a few minutes and the warmth melts the cacao butter and gives the needed consistency. It should be fine with a food processor as well.
  • Transfer into a pie tray, press tightly and make some cut marks using a knife or a pizza cutter. This way you can pull out the pieces when the "Righteously Raw Chocolate" is well set.
  • Store this in refrigerator in an air tight container and enjoy a piece when you need a chocolate fix or just an antioxidant punch. Enjoy!
  • PS: I get all my ingredients from nuts.com. I have no interest in the company nor am I promoting their products. I just want to share with you all as to where you can get all the ingredients if you are interested in trying it.
Variations:
You can make this using any berries like acai or chokeberries or mulberries. Also, you can add maca and any other ingredients you wish to add.