Nightshades

By: Elna Botes van Schalkwyk

I never gave too much attention to nightshade veggies (Example: potatoes, bell peppers, eggplant, hot peppers, tomatoes etc.,) because they never caused inflammation in my body. After a discussion on the Multiple Sclerosis and Diet group on Facebook, I asked my doctor about it and he gave me this shocking info on potatoes specifically: “Because they are indigestible, uncooked potatoes pass through the upper intestine with little change. They arrive in the lower intestine largely intact, where they begin to ferment under the influence of intestinal bacteria. The result of this fermentation is the production of gas, which can cause bloating, cramping and flatulence. Although none of these effects are a threat to health, they are uncomfortable and inconvenient.” 

In the light of the above, it makes só much sense what Esther and Dr. Terry say: “It is a lifestyle commitment that all of the food you eat will be the best, most nutrient dense food. That means you will be eating green leaves, sulfur rich vegetables, berries and high quality protein.” So, even if I don’t see immediate harm in my body, it does not mean that certain foods get a green light!

Here is a further explanation from my doctor: “All members of this family (nightshades) are known for protecting themselves with toxic alkaloids, and potatoes are no exception. They produce two alkaloids, solanine and chaconine, that are dangerous to humans. Ordinarily, a potato contains only small amounts of both.

For more information please check WH Foods.