By: Esther Vasa
12 Tips to fight MS fatigue:
- SLEEP: Make sure you get 7-8 hours sleep every night. If you suffer from insomnia check this Natural Treatments for Insomnia.
- DRINK WATER: Drink eight 8oz glasses of water or half your body weight in ounces of water everyday.
- EXERCISE: Exercise initially might tire you but as you do on a regular basis it provides energy.
- VARIETY: Have some variety in your daily routine. Routine tasks could be boring and cause fatigue.
- DIET: Eat a healthy and a balanced diet that includes complex carbohydrates, protein and greens. Avoid refined sugars, No HFCS, No MSG, no processed foods, no white flour/bread, no gluten, no caffeine, no alcohol and no smoking. Eat more number of meals but a handful each time. Have foods with Omega 3 fatty acids like walnuts, avocados, oily fish, hemp seeds, chia seeds and flaxseeds. Include immune-boosting foods like mushrooms, garlic, oats, sweet potatoes and herbal teas like Peppermint Tea, Oolong Tea, Parsley Tea, Basil Tea, Green Tea and Ginger Tea.
- SUPPLEMENTS: Take supplements that help with keeping you active through the day. Consult your doctor before starting any new supplements. Some supplements that help with fatigue are: CoQ10, D3, Omega 3 (fish oil or krill oil) B-12 and B-Complex. Consider taking probiotic and digestive enzymes supplements to support your digestive system.
- DON'T OVERLOAD: Don't overload yourself with too many tasks (saying to myself). Delegate household chores, distribute work evenly throughout the day and take a break every now and then.
- ELIMINATE STRESS-FACTORS: If you recognize a stress-factor in your life, try and eliminate it. Check this blogpost on Stress - The Biggest Trigger.
- BREATHE: Practise breathing deep.
- AVOID HEAT: Avoid heat and hot baths.
- HOBBIES: Enjoy activities that are pleasurable to you like art, music, dance etc.,
- CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR: If it is becoming extremely difficult, discuss with your doctor. Some medications could have fatigue as a side effect. Your doctor alone can help you figure that out.
Have a fatigue-free journey!