This is only a Thanksgiving or a Christmas treat for you and your guests. Consumption of starchy vegetables should be minimized for us with MS. No oil is needed for greasing the tray or in the casserole.
The orange flesh of Sweet Potatoes is indicative of its rich concentration of beta-carotene. To get the best benefits of beta-carotene, this vegetable has to be combined with some fat. Therefore, your best source of fat is nuts (in this recipe we are using almonds and walnuts). Anthocyanin in purple-colored sweet potato has anti-inflammatory properties.
Large Sweet Potatoes - 3
Almonds - 1/4th cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Cinnamon Powder - 1 tsp
Cardamom Powder - 1/8th tsp
Nutmeg - 1/4th tsp (or per your taste)
Ginger - an inch piece
Cayenne Pepper - a couple pinches (if you want it Southern style)
Himalayan Salt - a pinch
Egg Substitute equivalent to one egg
Organic Pitted Dates - 1/4th cup (optional - only if you like your casserole sweeter)
Whole Walnuts or Pecans
Jaggery - 2 tbsps or Stevia - per your taste
Almond meal - 2 tsps
- Clean the sweet potatoes thoroughly with a vegetable brush as we will be using the skin also. Poke the surface of each sweet potato either with a fork or a knife. Bake covered in a pyrex glass baking tray for an hour or until the sweet potatoes are soft and tender.
- Put all the ingredients i.e. baked sweet potatoes with skin on and the rest of the ingredients (other than the ones listed for topping) into the Vitamix or any power blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth with tamper in place.
- Transfer the above mixture into a round or a square casserole and flatten the surface.
- Into the dry blender, put the whole walnuts, jaggery or stevia and almond meal and just switch on the Vitamix without increasing the speed. You want your walnuts/pecans crushed and not powdered.
- Spread the crushed walnuts/pecans mixture evenly over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes.
- This is a much healthier alternate to the "SINFUL" Sweet Potato Casserole loaded with heavy cream, butter and glutinous flour.
- Alternately, you can turn this into a pie. Enjoy!